Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Res Ipsa Loquitur, I Hardly Knew Ye

I recently popped in my CD of U2's The Joshua Tree (their best album hands-down) after not listening to it for, quite literally, years. I remember every word.

This set me thinking. Why is it that I remember every single lyric to every single song on this album (after 19 years) when I can't remember one thing from law school (after 13) ?! Well, okay, I remember some random Latin phrases (I got your mens rea right here. No?) but, while I remember what the two I've used here actually mean, I'm not sure I would remember the meaning of one other phrase. Not one.

Of course, I haven't practiced law since passing the Bar (a thrilling and literally unbelievable experience), so that probably has something to do with it. And I was MUCH less diligent about studying law than listening to Bono croon, groan, bellow, or even sing anything from their albums up to and including The Joshua Tree.

Maybe if my professors had sung the lessons...

No comments: