Friday, April 11, 2008

Childhood Dreams

You may have heard of this already; it seems like I heard the tail end of something about this on NPR maybe, not too long ago, but my memory is... let's say uncertain, these days. Anyway, I read about it on Wonderland today:

In September of 2006, Randy Pausch, a professor of computer sciences at Carnegie Mellon University, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Pancreatic cancer is, plainly speaking, the worst kind to get: survival rates are extremely low, and the end usually comes within months of diagnosis. So when Professor Pausch was told in the summer of 2007 that the cancer had spread and he had only a few months to live, he elected to step down from his position to spend more time with his family. But before he did, there was time for one last lecture.
Alice Bradley's article is entitled What lessons do you want to leave your children? so it's about more than Professor Pausch, but it stems from his lecture and his worldview. Here are links to a video of his lecture, and to his book. The video is a little over an hour long, but it's worth watching.

I can't think about what lessons I want to leave Bunny, it will only make me cry right now, but it is something I'll be pondering. What could be more important than what lessons I want to teach Bunny, what I think will be important for his life, both while I'm here and when I'm gone?

No comments: